San Francisco New Year’s Eve Fireworks at Midnight | 2019/2020
Posted By kcubas on December 30, 2019
Say goodbye to 2019 and ring in the 2020 new year with 200,000 fellow bundled-up San Franciscans for an annual tradition as the city once again hosts a free waterfront midnight fireworks show on New Year’s Eve
San Francisco New Year’s Eve Fireworks
Tuesday, December 31, 2019 | 11:59 pmEmbarcadero from Mission to FolsomFREE
Arrive by 11:30 pm and head south of the Ferry Building along the Embarcadero for the best view. Fireworks kick off right at the stroke of midnight.
Best SF Fireworks Viewing Location:
The fireworks typically launch from barges located 1,000 feet out in the bay, just south of the Ferry Building near Pier 14 (Mission Street and The Embarcadero), so the best viewing spots will be south of the Ferry Building along the Embarcadero between Mission and Folsom Street.
Please note that standing in front of the Ferry Building will not be a good place to view the fireworks. It’s way too crowded and your view can be blocked by the Ferry Building.
About the Fireworks Show:
Typically, there’s a 15 minute midnight fireworks show.Each year, they unveil a few new and interesting pyrotechnics.
The fireworks are usually synced to music, played out through speakers that are set up along the promenade stretching from Pier 14 down almost to the Bay Bridge. So although there’s no radio simulcast and no live entertainment, if you’re close to Pier 14, you should be able to hear the music just fine.
Other Good Viewing Locations:
Assuming the weather is good, here are some other great locations to view the fireworks. Visit bayarea.com/play/fireworks-bay-area/ for photos and further detail.
- Treasure Island / Yerba Buena Island – SF
As long as you can arrive early, you might squeeze in for an amazing shot from Yerba Buena Island looking towards the SF skyline with the Bay Bridge below you. Just be wary of the steep drop from the cliffs below. Or for a more grounded shot (without peering down on top of the Bay Bridge), you can head down to the flatlands of Treasure Island. Please note that in the interest of public safety, the city highly discourages people from visiting Treasure Island for the fireworks. Traffic and parking may be restricted.
- Telegraph Hill – SF
It’s residential and there’s not much space, but two places with amazing views are the end of Alta Street (just off of Montgomery) and the end of Calhoun Terrace (just off of Union). Just keep in mind that it can get crowded. Please be very respectful of the neighbors and pack all your trash and take it with you.
- Oakland Hills – View from the Mormon Temple
- Berkeley – Grizzly Peak
- Emeryville – Marina Park Pathway
- Marin Headlands – You can typically see the top of the fireworks over downtown, plus you have the Golden Gate Bridge in the foreground for your photos.
Stay Safe this New Year’s Eve – Emergency Alerts
The San Francisco Department of Emergency Management (SFDEM) encourages people celebrating New Year’s Eve in San Francisco to text the phrase NYESF to 888-777 to receive emergency text message alerts related to New Year’s Eve events in San Francisco. New Year’s Eve celebrants may also visit www.sfdem.org/NYESF
San Francisco residents, visitors, and businesses can help by remaining vigilant while enjoying New Year’s Eve festivities. These simple tips will help you stay safe:
- If you see something, say something. Call 9-1-1 or talk to a police officer if you see something suspicious.
- Have a plan. It is easy to lose track of people during large events. It is even more difficult when there is an emergency. Designate a meet up spot if you get separated from your group.
- Be aware of your surroundings and take note of emergency exits.
- Have a designated driver or alternative transportation plan if you plan on drinking alcohol.
- All fireworks, including “Safe and Sane”, are dangerous and illegal in San Francisco. We encourage everyone to choose safety and observe a public firework show.
- If you have a noise complaint, call the police non-emergency line at (415) 553-0123.